Western Mustangs Athletic Alumni
After the celebration of 100 years of Mustangs Athletics in 2013-14, Western's two official athletic alumni chapters, The “W” Club and the Women’s Athletic Alumnae (WAA), joined efforts in support of the next 100 years of Western Mustangs Athletics. This one organization is now known as the Western Mustangs Athletic Alumni.
The Western Mustangs Athletic Alumni aims to build pride, to encourage and promote lifelong connections amongst Western’s athletes, coaches and staff while upholding the purple and proud tradition and heritage of Mustangs Athletics, and helping to provide a competitive advantage to our current athletes and programs.
In 2017, the WMAA established a Grants Committee which serves to provide support for university-sanctioned Western athletic teams hosting alumni events. In 2018-2019 alone, we supported track and field, rowing, soccer, basketball, football, wrestling, and more . . . These teams have hosted events such as Hall of Fame dinners, wine and cheese receptions, pub nights, and team anniversaries. Together with Sports and Recreation Services, and Western Alumni, we aim to support Western’s wide variety of teams - and we’d love to work with you! Click HERE for the Grant Application and more information.
Have questions? Contact Jacquie Rose or Dory Mounsey, Senior Development Officer in Sports and Recreation Services.
If you would be interested or would like to learn more about programs and events, engaging athletic alumni, or volunteering with the group please contact us at email@example.com or reach current President Rick Odegaard, President Elect, Angela Schneider or Alumni Relations staff partner Jacquie Rose.
- Rick Odegaard, BA'69, President; Governance Committee Chair
- Angela Schneider, BA'82, MA'85, MA'87, PhD'93 President Elect
- Mary Riezebos, BA'74, BA'75, MA'80, JP Metras Museum Chair
- Patricia Kitchen, BA'74, BEd'75, MA'77, Secretary, Western Mustangs Sports Hall of Fame Co-Chair
- Bill McDonnell, BA'75, BEd'76, Western Mustangs Sports Hall of Fame Co-Chair
- Lindsay Merrifield, BA'02, Grant Committee Chair
- Gary Gorham, BA’80 Treasurer
- Sherri Castrilli, BA'99, Event Committee Chair
- Janet Takahashi, BA'79, BEd'80, Director
- Natascha Wesch, MSc'98, PhD'08, MA'15, Director
- Dennis Hinschberger, BA'86, Director
- Lewis Kent, BA'16, Director
- Christine Stapleton, Director of Sports and Recreation Services
- Tyler Forkes, Executive Director of Alumni Relations
- Mark Brown, President of The Alumni Association
- Judy Alasczkiewicz, BA’75, MA’80
- Ted Hessel, BA’58, BA’67
- Helen Luckman, MEd’82
- Bob Pearson, BA’63
- Mike Sheffar, BA’89
- Helena Smeenk-Pritchard, BA’73
- Marty Day, HBA'80
- Guy Zink, BA'74, BEd'75
- Therese Quigley, BA'75, BEd'77
- Mary Riezebos, BA'74, BA'75, MA'80