Western Mustangs Sports Hall of Fame
The Western Mustangs Sports Hall of Fame honours outstanding contributions to Western Mustang Athletics in three categories: Athlete, Builder and Builder/Athlete.
The awards are presented by the Western Mustangs Athletic Alumni, which was formed in 2015 with the merging of Western's two athletic alumni chapters, The “W” Club and the Women's Athletic Alumnae (WAA). Previous inductees of the “W” Club Hall of Fame and the WAA Elfrida Berzins Awards are automatically inducted to the Western Mustangs Sports Hall of Fame.
Inductees are recognized at the Western Mustangs Sports Hall of Fame Dinner held of the Friday evening of Homecoming Weekend.
Please note: nominations are open to athletic alumni who graduated more than 10 years ago. It is possible for the award to be given posthumously.
Congratulations to all of the 2020–2021 Western Mustangs Sports Hall of Fame Inductees for your Outstanding Contributions to Western Mustangs Athletics!
Lifetime Achievement Award Recipients:
- Jack Cowin
- Helen Luckman
- Michael Forgeron – Men’s Rowing
- Dave Sapunjis – Men’s Football
- Bob Robinson – Men’s Wrestling
- Jen Cotten – Women’s Track and Field
- Amanda Anderson – Women’s Basketball
- Kristina Lemon - Women’s Softball
Men’s and Women’s Builder/Athlete
- David Edwards –Builder – Women’s Volleyball/Ice Hockey, Athlete – Men’s Ice Hockey
- Dave Mills –Builder - Men’s & Women’s Cross Country/Track and Field, Athlete -Men’s Cross Country /Track and Field
- 2004 and the 2005 Women’s National Champion Rugby Teams
- 1990-91 Men’s National Champion Basketball Team
Due to COVID-19 Western Mustangs Athletic Alumni (WMAA) will officially announce Western Mustangs Sports Hall of Fame Inductees at this year’s 2020 Virtual Homecoming Event and present individual awards at the next Mustangs Sports Hall of Fame Awards Dinner, Friday, September 24th, 2021 in partnership with Mustangs Athletics and Alumni Relations. The presentation will be held on campus in the Great Hall and will be one of Homecoming 2021 Marquee Events.
For the full list of previous inductees, please visit the John P. Metras Sports Museum website.